- Stand upright in front of a step or elevated and sturdy surface.
- Place one foot on top of the step and straighten the leg in order to move into a standing position on the step.
- Keep the leg that trails free and hanging; it should not touch the step.
- Kick out the trailing leg directly behind you in a controlled and steady motion.
- Pause for a moment when you reach the top of the step position.
- Carefully place the trailing leg on the floor as you bend the stepped up leg to return to the starting position.
- Repeat with other leg.